Larsenianthus wardianus W.J.Kress, Thet Htun & Bordelon
- Common Name:
- Family: Zingiberaceae Lindley
- Country of Origin: Myanmar
- Habitat: Understory of evergreen forest.
- Description: Evergreen herb, medium-size to 125 cm tall; rhizome to 2.0 cm in diameter, fibrous, aromatic, inner color white; tubers present. Leafy shoots 10–20 per plant, erect, densely clumped. Leaves 4–5 per shoot, to 118 cm in total length; basal leaf sheaths reddish and glabrous, ca. 30 cm in length × 5 cm in width; sheathing petioles to 52 cm in length × 1.5 cm in diameter, glabrous, green and clasping stem, margin slightly revolute; ligule small, 10 mm in length × 1 mm in width, not lobed, truncate on petiole, papery and ephemeral disappearing in mature leaves; lamina 67 cm in length × 14 cm in width, ovate, green and glabrous above, lower midrib green and glabrous, base long attenuate onto petiole, slightly subequal, apex acuminate, adaxial surface dark green. Inflorescence basal on leafless shoot, erect to 33 cm in height; peduncle 20 cm in length × 1.0–1.5 cm in diameter, glabrous, lower sheaths red, upper sheaths green; spike ovoid, 6–10 cm in length × 4–5 cm in diameter; rachis straight; inflorescence bracts about 40 per inflorescence, 1–2 lower bracts sterile, bracts 3.7 cm in length × 2.4 cm in width at base of inflorescence, 2.0 cm in length × 1.8 cm in width distally, spirally arranged and imbricate, not pouched, held at 40° from vertical axis, glabrous, bright green with reddish apex, margins smooth; bracteoles not tubular, 2.1 cm in length × 1.6 cm in width, glabrous, pale white with reddish apex. Flowers conspicuous, 3–4 per bract; calyx tubular, 1.5 cm long, tri-lobed with central lobe shortest, pale yellow to pink; floral tube 3.2 cm in length × 2.0 mm in diameter, reddish pink, externally glabrous with scattered unicellular papillate hairs inside, lobed with each lobe 1.4 cm in length, reflexed; lateral staminodes 3.0 mm in length × 2.0 mm in width, cup-shaped, glabrous, red; labellum 2.2 cm in length × 3.0 mm in width at apex, linear to spatulate, not lobed, red basally with yellow apex, glabrous; fertile stamen with filament 2.1 cm long, red at throat of corolla becoming yellow distally, glabrous; anther 3.0 mm in length × 2.0 mm in width, without a crest; pollen pale yellow; epigynous glands two, linear; stigma minute, <1 mm across, white, extending slightly beyond anther; ovary trilocular, 2.0 mm in length × 2.0 mm in width, pubescent, white to cream colored. Fruits and seeds unknown. 4
- Accession # 201900279
- Source: Kress Collection, SI#2002050
Kress, W. J., Thet Htun, Bordelon, M., Khin Maung Hla
Myanmar: Kachin State: Myitkyina Township
NW section of Pidaung Wildlife Sanctuary; app. 15 km from Myitkyina.
25.5811, 97.2489, 24 Feb 2002
herb; Shoots to 1 m, leaves green, purplish below along margins, leaf bases red. Inflorescence on basal shoot.
This accession is vegetatively propagated from the type specimen.
- Accession Date: 07-10-2019
- Bench: 3211 - ZING:Research Curcuma
- Currently: dormant
- Qty: 0 confirmed on 02-03-2022
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Liliopsida
- SubClass: commelinids
- Order: Zingiberales
- Family: Zingiberaceae
- SubFamily: Zingiberoideae
- Tribe: Zingibereae
- EEB Greenhouse Holdings native to: Myanmar
- The Plant List (2013). Version 1.1.Last accessed on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019.
- WCSP (2019). World Checklist of Selected Plant Families. Facilitated by the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. Last accessed on Tuesday, 07 May, 2019.
- Image #00 (cropped) & #01 (original) used with the permission of the National Museum of Natural History, Smithsonian Institution, 10th and Constitution Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20560-0193. Last accessed on Tuesday, 16 July, 2019.
- Kress W, Mood J, Sabu M, Prince L, Dey S, Sanoj E (2010) , Larsenianthus, a new Asian genus of Gingers (Zingiberaceae) with four species. PhytoKeys 1: 15-32. https://doi.org/10.3897/phytokeys.1.658. Last accessed on Wednesday, 20 November, 2019.
data regenerated on Wed, 24 May 2023 08:12:05 -0400 [bcm v4.0]