Pilea peperomioides Diels
- Common Name: Chinese Money Plant
- Family: Urticaceae Juss.
- Country of Origin: China (SW-Sichuan, W-Yunnan)
- Habitat: Shaded moist rocks in forests; 1500-3000 m.
- Description: Herbs perennial, rhizomatous, glabrous, often dioecious, sometimes monoecious. Stems greenish to dark brownish, often simple, erect, ascending, or climbing, 15-40 cm tall, 0.6-2 cm in diam., thick, woody at base, succulent distally, internodes 0.3-1 cm, rough; leaf scars conspicuous, semiorbicular, 3-4 mm in diam., Leaves spirally opposite, crowded on upper nodes; stipules persistent, light green, becoming brownish when dry, triangular-ovate, caudate-acuminate, squamose, 7-12 mm, with dense linear cystoliths; petiole unequal in length, 2-17 cm; leaf blade abaxially pale green, adaxially green, suborbicular, peltate, unequal in size, 2.5-9 × 2-8 cm, succulent, papery when dry, 3-veined, lateral veins 3 or 4 on each side, inconspicuous, external secondary veins numerous, anastomosing by margin, finely honeycombed abaxially, cystoliths fusiform, often conspicuous adaxially, base rounded or emarginate, margin entire, rarely inconspicuously undulate, apex rounded or obtuse. Inflorescences solitary, in upper nodes, male inflorescence a cymose panicle, 18-28 cm overall, peduncle thick, 5-14 cm; bracts lanceolate, ca. 0.5 mm; female inflorescence shorter. Male flower purplish, pedicellate, in bud obovoid, ca. 2.5 mm; calyx and corolla of a flower (generally used when the two are similar).">perianth lobes 4, obovate, connate at base, subapically corniculate; stamens 4; rudmentary ovary oblong. Female perianth lobes unequal, largest lobe cymbiform, 1/2 as long as achene. indehiscent fruit, e.g. in the genus Ranunculus">Achene purplish, broadly ovoid, ca. 0.8 mm, slightly compressed, oblique, verrucose, enclosed by persistent perianth. Fl. Apr-Jul, fr. Jul-Sep.5
- Accession # 198500364
- Accession Date: 12-31-1985
- Bench: 1219 - AUS:South Bench E
- Currently: active - healthy
- Qty: 2 confirmed on 02-17-2023
- Division: Magnoliophyta
- Class: Magnoliopsida
- SubClass: eurosid I
- Order: Rosales
- Family: Urticaceae
- Tribe: Lecantheae
- The Plant List (2013). Version 1.1. Last accessed on Thursday, 31 October, 2019.
- Pilea peperomioides at Global Biodiversity Information Facility. Last accessed on Thursday, 31 October, 2019.
- Image #00 (cropped) & #01 (original) by Michael Wolf [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
- ARS-GRIN Taxonomy. Last accessed on Thursday, 31 October, 2019.
- Flora of China. Last accessed on Thursday, 31 October, 2019.
data regenerated on Fri, 17 Feb 2023 15:21:13 -0500 [bcm v4.0]